Meeting Minutes for December 3, 2016 @ 1 p.m.
Present: Allie Penn, Laura Kennedy, Lori Eaton, Maggie Waligora, Kim Schroeder (faculty advisor) Monica Ponzini, Mia Poole, Khari Watts, Gertie Nixon, Veronica Wood
Guest Speaker: Leslie Edwards, Head Archivist, Cranbrook Educational Community
Ms. Edwards described the collections in the Cranbrook Archives – K-12 schools, art museum, science museum, historic houses, libraries, etc. She discussed the challenges of developing a digital collections policy including the issues of digital storage, advocacy within the larger institution, developing processes and managing staff time.
Discussion of winter 2017 semester activities:
- A workshop on developing posters and presentation for professional meetings is being planned for January in collaboration with other student groups including SAA (Society of American Archivists), and ASIS&T (Association for Information Science and Technology).
- Allie is talking to a connection at the Reuther about a Metadata workshop for some time in February.
- Kim suggested a visit to the Hathi Trust in Ann Arbor for March
- The next MMDP was changed to March 23 & 24, 2017 and will be held at the Reuther Library on Wayne State’s campus. There may be an opportunity for student groups to be involved.
- Kim raised the question of sponsoring a colloquium in April. We would need to decide a topic soon.
- There may be an opportunity for a tour of ProQuest offices in Ann Arbor for May.
Submitted by: Lori Eaton